In May 2009 Riku Kotiranta and me came to Helsinki to teach together and to dj at different milongas. The workshops were organized by “Amigos Del Tango”.
The video is taken during the workshops 8th May 2009.
Have a look at their presentation of us.
Special weekend full of Tango (8.-10.5. 2009)
Feel the essence of tango and find your own tango with the help of two lovely couples:
- Riku Kotiranta & Bärbel Rücker
- Pasi & Maria Laurén
8.5.2009 Munkkiniemen yhteiskoulu, Laajalahdentie 21
- 18.00-19.30 Bärbel & Riku, How to greate a good dance; taking time, nice embrace, breathing and the rules of the good dance floor to create good flow (intermediate-advanced)
- 19.30-21.00 Bärbel & Riku, Musicality; dance with the rhythm, change the energy, use phrases to “say” something (intermediate-advanced)
- Tango competition @ Pavi (arranged by Stadi Tanssii Ry)
- 18.30-20.00 Dj Workshop with Riku, Bärbel & Kristian @ Almacen
- klo 20-XX Milonga @ Almacen, dj. Bärbel
10.5. 2009 Munkkiniemen yhteiskoulu, Laajalahdentie 21
- 11.00-12.30 Pasi & Maria, Improvisation intermediate-advanced
- 12.30-14.00 Pasi & Maria, Challenges for the more advanced
- 14.00-15.30 Bärbel & Riku, Ochos, do comfortable ochos, kick the 180 degree ocho out of the repertoire :-), play with the angle of ochos, dynamics, intermediate-advanced
- 15.30-17.00 Bärbel & Riku, Nice giros and useful changes of direction, intermediate-advanced
- klo 18-22 Milonga @ Almacen, dj Riku
I think that everyone´s familiar with Pasi & Laurén, but I have a feeling that most of you don´t know yet Riku & Bärbel, even though both of them are well known among tango dancers around the globe.
Let me present them shortly:
In his ninth year of Argentine tango, Riku is still thrilled by new experiences. He sees the dance as an active dialog in which well-founded technique, presence, and courage to express the music and oneself are important components. Using inspiration from other teachers and tango friends while traveling, he continuously enriches his dancing. The goal is a clean, dynamic, and social tango dance, using also modern techniques. As a teacher he is passionate, while aiming to maintain an analytical perspective to achieve maximum liberty in movement, improvisation and musical interpretation.
Because of his musical interest, Riku also appears as tango DJ. He is well-known for playing dance able music no matter the style, be it traditional, which he prefers, or modern, which he also enjoys. He describes his tastes as eclectic, but his choice of music is always organic and musical.
Riku teaches tango at World Dance Company in Gothenburg, Sweden, since 2003, and frequently travels for teaching and performances. As a tango DJ, Riku has played at several European festivals.
She got hugged by tango in November 1997.
Since then she has traveled a lot for dancing (Bonn, Köln, Nijmegen, Bochum, Wuppertal, Hamburg …). She started teaching already in 1999 and has taught mostly alone (dominating both roles) and occasionally with some partners in Germany and Denmark. During her 3 stays in BsAs in 2006 (10 weeks), 2007 (6 month) and 2009 (7 weeks) she could develop her own style.
Since last year she has been into DJ’ing.
She really enjoys the music and the communication with the partner while dancing. “For me tango is much more than only a dance. To be in the moment and to be the music are the important issues for me.”
“Teaching tango is for me a the way to help people to find their own way in tango. To make it easier for them to enjoy the music and the partner.”